Is porridge healthy?
Oats are everywhere and we’re very happy about it. This breakfast friendly ingredient is a rich source of magnesium and contains B vitamins and iron, too. Oats also contain a particular type of fibre known as beta-glucan that contributes to the maintenance of normal cholesterol levels. Plus, if you make your porridge with milk you’ll be getting an extra dose of calcium and protein along with it. So yes, porridge is healthy.
Que 10 porridge toppings that will brighten up your morning
There’s porridge toppings all over the web so we’ve put together ten of the best. No complicated recipes – just simple, tried and tested toppings that will have you jumping out of bed in anticipation (or is that just us?).
Looking to add more protein into your diet? Protein porridge is an easy way to do just that. Add in a scoop of your favourite protein powder, or try out this HiLo protein porridge recipe.
1. Grated dark chocolate, raspberries and yoghurt
2. Peanut butter and strawberries
3. Apple, dates and toasted pecans
4. Blood orange and honey
5. Chocolate and banana
6. Banana, toasted almonds and cinnamon with maple syrup
7. Blueberries, yoghurt, honey and toasted pumpkin seeds
3 weekend treat toppings
We’re not saying these are the healthiest of toppings but sometimes, you’ve got to have a treat. When eaten in moderation all of our weekend toppings fit seamlessly into a healthy, balanced diet. It’s Sunday so go on…you deserve it.
8. Strawberries and cream
9. Nutella, raspberries and toasted, crumbled pecans
10. Golden syrup with roasted hazelnuts