500 calories per serving
• 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil (or olive oil)
• 1 large onion, finely diced
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 inch piece of ginger, minced
• 1 red chilli, finely diced
• 1 ½ tbsp ground coriander
• 2 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp turmeric
• ½ tsp ground black pepper
• 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
• 250ml chicken stock (low sodium)
• 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 125ml coconut milk
• 100g frozen peas
• ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
• ¼ tsp ground cloves
• 1 handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
• 200g brown rice
1. Heat the oil in a large deep-sided frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
2. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli, cooking for 1 minute.
3. Add the ground coriander, cumin, turmeric and black pepper and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the tomatoes and chicken stock. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until the tomatoes have softened.
5. Add the chicken and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the coconut milk and cook for a further 15 minutes until the sauce thickens and the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Add the peas, cinnamon and cloves, then simmer for a further minute.
7. Remove from the heat and add the fresh coriander. Serve with boiled brown rice.