The benefits of magnesium
Research suggests that even a small shortfall in magnesium can have a negative impact on performance. Magnesium supports a huge number of body functions, including:
- supporting protein synthesis (vital for recovery and building muscle)
- strengthening bones and teeth
- reducing tiredness and fatigue
- supporting electrolyte balance
- supporting muscle function
- supporting the normal function of the nervous system
Where is magnesium found?
The richest food sources of magnesium are:
- whole wheat foods
- leafy greens such as spinach
- nuts such as almonds and cashews
- dark chocolate
How much magnesium should I take?
The recommended daily intake of supplemental magnesium is 375mg. An intake of levels exceeding 400mg is not recommended as this may cause digestive issues.
When should I take magnesium?
It is best to take magnesium when you will remember it, as it’s important to take it on a regular basis.