- Heat the oil and butter in a deep-sided frying pan then add the onion and garlic. Cook over a low-medium heat for 5-10 minutes until soft. Add the turmeric and curry powder and stir, cooking for 1 minute until the spices become fragrant.
- Stir in the rice then pour over the stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 10 minutes until just tender (it should still have a 'bite' to it). You may need to add a little more stock as you go. Check for seasoning.
- Add the flaked mackerel to the pan and gently stir through then cover and continue to cook over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soft-boil the eggs by boiling in a pan of water for 6 minutes then remove with a slotted spoon, peel and slice into quarters.
- Add the frozen peas to the kedgeree mix and squeeze in half a lemon.
- Take the frying pan off the heat and gently stir the yogurt (if using) and coriander leaves.
- Serve with the quartered, boiled eggs on top.
Vitamin D per serving: 5.5mcg (55% RDA)
Rob Hobson MSc RNutr is a Registered Nutritionist who has worked with some of the UK’s largest food and health companies and performs training in the public health sector (including government agencies and the NHS). Rob contributes regularly to UK press publications and has a monthly column in Women's Health magazine.
Find out more at Rob Hobson's website, or read more about Healthspan's health experts.