- Heat the oil and butter in a deep-sided frying pan then add the onion and garlic. Cook over a low-medium heat for 5-10 minutes until soft. Add the turmeric and curry powder and stir, cooking for 1 minute until the spices become fragrant.
- Stir in the rice then pour over the stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 10 minutes until just tender (it should still have a 'bite' to it). You may need to add a little more stock as you go. Check for seasoning.
- Add the flaked mackerel to the pan and gently stir through then cover and continue to cook over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soft-boil the eggs by boiling in a pan of water for 6 minutes then remove with a slotted spoon, peel and slice into quarters.
- Add the frozen peas to the kedgeree mix and squeeze in half a lemon.
- Take the frying pan off the heat and gently stir the yogurt (if using) and coriander leaves.
- Serve with the quartered, boiled eggs on top.
Vitamin D per serving: 5.5mcg (55% RDA)
Rob Hobson MSc RNutr is an award-winning registered nutritionist (AFN) and sports nutritionist (SENR) with over 15 years of experience. He founded London-based consultancy RH Nutrition, and has degrees in nutrition, public health nutrition and sports nutrition.
Find out more at Rob Hobson's website, or read more about Healthspan's health experts.