Suddenly having to wash our hair more often, fighting frizz by midday or engaging in a daily battle to give our hair some long-lasting hydration and shine – our hair has pulled every trick in the book during the summer months. Thankfully, that means we know how to help you look after yours!
While we don’t normally recommend washing your hair too often, the summer season is the exception to the rule. Increased sweating (which also assists in spreading the oils on our scalp down the hair shaft) together with the more frequent use of sunscreen and moisturisers (which get into our hair from our hands, or from the back of our neck) make shampoo the only solution. Add to this the damaging effects of chlorine and salt water which are best removed from hair as quickly as possible, and one or two more shampoo sessions a week seems wise.
- Play around with your parting to add a bit more volume and disguise an oily scalp.
- The Replenish Full Volume Shampoo is gentle enough for frequent use and will respect your hair every time you wash. Concentrate on the scalp and as you rinse, allow the suds to cleanse the lengths.
- Apply your Replenish Nourishing Care Conditioner from the mid-point of your hair to the tips (avoiding the scalp). It’s lighter and better suited to normal or greasy hair than the Replenish Intensive Repair Conditioner, providing vital nourishment without weighing the hair down.
UV rays don’t just damage your skin – they can break down the bonds that make the keratin in your hair strong too, resulting in weaker hair and fading colour. Do everything you can to avoid heat styling since your hair is already being exposed to so much.
- Cover your hair whilst in the sun.
- If you’re going swimming, wet your hair with regular tap water beforehand (but do not shampoo, this will allow your hair to maintain its natural protective oils). This fills the hair and makes it harder for chlorine to deposit in the hair shaft.
- You need intensive, restorative action, so the Replenish Intensive Repair Conditioner is the one for you. Leave it on hair for a few minutes before rinsing for an extra boost.
- Follow up with a leave-in product like the Replenish 10-in-1 Hair Oil, which will give your hair a layer of protection.
With frizzy hair, it’s time to get clever. The key element is locking in moisture, but in the short-term, it can pay to experiment with your style. Plaits and twists work well or a quiff or side ponytail work with increasing volume. If your hair is frizzing because it’s broken, that’s more difficult and will require a little patience in waiting for the shorter strands to catch up. To help prevent further breakage, a hair supplement can help safeguard your hair’s nutritional needs.
- Moisture is the antidote to frizz – lock it in with the Replenish 10-in-1 Hair Oil.
- Think two-step. The Hair & Nail Strengthener supplies all of the hair-loving vitamins and nutrients your body needs to improve the quality of new hair coming through.
Three top tips for your scalp health this summer…
- Circulation boost - give yourself a scalp massage with your shampoo (or with your conditioner if your scalp is really dry) to boost circulation.
- Promote growth - brush your hair daily to redistribute scalp oils and slough off dead skin that can obstruct hair growth.
- Clever protection - protect your hair and scalp from the sun with sunscreen or a hat. Choose a crushable style for your beach bag or suitcase.