Canine Nutritionist Kristina Johansen shares her quick and easy recipe for low-fat, low-calorie homemade dog treats.
These treats have a satisfying crunch, are nutritious for your dog and can be made in just 10 minutes.
Small but mighty, chickpeas pack a nutritional punch for relatively few calories, while coconut oil is not only delicious, but also contains medium chain triglycerides. Dill has antibacterial properties, while parsley is a rich source of beta-carotene, vitamin C and folic acid (vitamin B9).
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas thoroughly under cold running water.
- Melt the coconut oil.
- Toss all the ingredients in a large bowl until the chickpeas are evenly coated.
- Spread the chickpeas on a large baking tray.
- Bake until they are crunchy: about 30-40 minutes.
Recipe provides approximately 419 calories, 20g fat, 18g protein and 41g carbohydrates.