Canine nutritionist Jodie Woodward shares her recipe for delicious sweet potato dog biscuits, rich in heart-healthy vitamins and minerals.
These healthy, homemade dog treats are quick and easy to make and are packed full of goodness.
Oats provide a healthy soluble fibre called beta-glucan which has benefits for cholesterol and blood sugar control, as well as a range of vitamins and minerals, including biotin, selenium and copper. Sweet potato is also rich in fibre and provides B vitamins, magnesium, calcium and potassium. They're low in fat too.
Feed whole as a tasty but healthy snack, or break them up into smaller pieces for training.
The recipe makes about 30 to 40 biscuits using a 7-10cm bone-shaped biscuit cutter. Stored in an airtight container, these biscuits can last for up to a year in the freezer.
- 1 large sweet potato, boiled and mashed
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 2 cups of oats
- 1 egg
- 500ml of chicken stock (or beef/vegetable if your dog prefers)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C or gas mark 4. Grease or line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Thoroughly scrub the skin of the sweet potato, remove any vines or stems, then cut into small chunks and boil for about 10 minutes or until soft. Mash together and leave to cool.
- Beat the egg in a bowl and stir in the flour and oats. Add this mixture to the cooled sweet potato mash.
- Stir in 250ml of the chicken stock gradually to form a dough. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour. If the dough is too dry, add more chicken stock.
- Flour your work surface well and roll out the dough to 1-1.5cm thickness. Using your dog treat cutter (any shape but the bone shaped ones are great!) cut out your biscuits and place them on your pre-prepped tray.
- Place them in the preheated oven for about 25 to 35 minutes, or until they are crisp and golden.
- Allow them to cool on a wire rack.
Approximate daily nutritional value per biscuit: 12 per cent protein, 66 per cent carbohydrates and 3 per cent fat.
Flexi Joints for Dogs
An advanced supplement containing glucosamine and chondroitin to help support your dog's joint health
- Provides essential building blocks to help your dog maintain healthy working joints and stay active
- Glucosamine HCl and Chondroitin, vitamins C and E
- Tasty beef-flavoured tablets