Ginger and turmeric give this vegan soup plenty of warmth. The carrots provide vitamin C - wash them thoroughly but leave the skin on to make sure you get all the nutrients.
Total time: 45 mins
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 750g carrots, thoroughly washed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- Thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, finely sliced
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- Large handful of coriander, leaves picked for garnish and stalks finely chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Salt, to taste
For the garnish
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 green chilli, diced, optional
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot set over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the ginger, turmeric, black pepper, garlic and chopped coriander stalks. Mix well and cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour over the stock and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Allow the soup to cool a little and then blitz until smooth. Return to the heat, season with salt and warm through.
- In a small bowl, combine the spring onions, coriander and green chilli, if using, with a small drop of olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each with a little of the coriander garnish. Serve immediately.