In this nutritious version of takeaway kebabs, we replace fattier cuts of meat with lean skinless chicken thighs, and use low-fat tzatziki instead of a creamy dressing.
425 calories per serving
Fakeaway chicken kebab: 55g (68% RDA) vitamin C per serving
Takeaway chicken kebab: 20g (25% RDA) vitamin C per serving
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 2 large potatoes
- Flaked sea salt
- Paprika, to dust
- 4 tbsp fat-free Greek yoghurt
- ½ a cucumber, de-seeded and cut into rough chunks
- 1 bunch mint, roughly chopped
- ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon English mustard
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges
- ½ an iceberg lettuce, sliced
- 10 black olives, pitted and halved
- For the chicken, whisk 1 tbsp olive oil with lemon zest, oregano, and half the garlic and season well. Coat chicken and leave to marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 4. Cut potatoes into long chips and place into a pot of boiling, salted water for 3 minutes. Drain and pat dry with a tea towel.
- Spread the chips on a large non-stick baking tray and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Lie them flat in a single layer, trying not to let them touch. Roast for 45-50 minutes, turning every 10 minutes. Sprinkle with flaked sea salt and paprika to serve.
- While the chips are cooking, thread chicken on to 2 metal skewers. Heat a large griddle pan over a medium-high heat and fry for 4 minutes on each side until slightly charred and cooked through.
- To make the tzatziki, mix together yoghurt, lemon juice, cucumber, the remaining half of the garlic, and mint (reserving a few chopped leaves), and season.
- In a small bowl mix together the red wine vinegar, 1 tbsp olive oil, and English mustard then season. Place the red onion, tomato, lettuce and olives on to a serving board and drizzle with dressing, then sprinkle over the remaining mint leaves.
- Serve the oven chips, chicken, tzatziki and salad and dig in!